One of my new favorite cheeses to cook with is feta. Sure I’ve used it for years in Greek salad and enjoyed it on pizza as a special treat, but other than tossing a few crumbles on grilled chicken on occasion, that was pretty much it.
When Hubby and I discovered borek (click HERE for my recipe), made with Bulgarian feta, well that was just the cat’s meow. Teaching myself to make borek at home opened up more opportunities to use feta cheese and the opportunities keep on coming.
This particular recipe for a Greek-style stuffed roasted pepper uses Greek feta. You could easily use Bulgarian feta, which is a little milder, but I liked the taste of the Greek, plus I was saving the Bulgarian feta in the fridge for borek.
These peppers make a great appetizer or side with any meal. It’s quick, easy, and made with ingredients we typically have in the fridge. If you don’t have feta cheese, you could always use blue, cheddar or other sharp cheese. I’ll be honest though, the feta really holds its own against the strong flavor of the roasted pepper. So if you have it, give it a try.
To begin, cut peppers into quarters, or if you prefer even eighths. Remove and discard seeds and stems.
In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, feta cheese, bacon, and green onion; mix until well blended.
Grill peppers over medium-high heat on grill mat or broil 4-6″ from heat 2 – 3 minutes on each side, until crisp tender and slightly charred.
Remove peppers from oven or grill. Divide cheese mixture among peppers and fill each cavity.
Grill or bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Greek-Style Stuffed Roasted Peppers
- 2 Large Sweet Yellow, Orange or Red Peppers
- 4 Ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ Cup Crumbled Greek Feta Cheese
- 3 Bacon Strips, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 Green Onion, chopped fine
- Cut peppers into quarters. Remove and discard seeds and stems.
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, feta cheese, bacon, and green onion; mix until well blended
- Grill peppers over medium-high heat on grill mat or broil 4-6″ from heat 2 – 3 minutes on each side, until crisp tender and slightly charred.
- Remove peppers from oven or grill.
- Divide cheese mixture among peppers and fill each cavity.
- Grill or bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
Depending on how much cheese you want on each pepper, you could stretch the cheese mixture to go on 3 quartered peppers. We like our peppers swimming in the cheese though, so I only use 2.
To switch up the flavor on these, you could use blue cheese in place of the feta or even try sharp cheddar. Really any cheese is just going to make these peppers taste great.
Recipe by: Tilly Frueh – Simply Grateful Cooking 2018
The first time I made these peppers I wasn’t sure how Hubby would like them. To my delight he loved them. He said it was a refreshing change from our normal vegetable side dishes, and what’s not to like about peppers stuffed with cheese.
This is a great way to use sweet peppers when you’ve had your fill in salads or in dip, and for this I am — Simply Grateful.